Sunday, November 22, 2009

Beauty and Peace



I went for a jog early this morning. It was a really gorgeous morning in the country. There was a light mist that barely touched my skin as I moved through it but, which left the world in a beautiful silence that I was in just the right state of mind to appreciate. Still, I guided my headphone into one of my ears and pushed play. There was something about being surrounded by the silence of creation that enhanced the music. At once I could hear the beauty of the music and the stillness of the world and it was powerful. The song that popped up on my ipod is one that has held special meaning for me before, but this morning it was new again and spoke so sweetly to my heart.

FIELDS OF PLENTY/ BE STILL MY SOUL - Amy Grant

Be still my soul the Lord is on thy side.
Bear patiently the cross of grief or pain.
Leave to thy God to order and provide.
In every change He faithful will remain.
Be still my soul. Thy best, thy heavenly Friend.
Through thorny ways leads to a joyful end.
Be still my soul thy God doth undertake
To guide the future as He has the past.
Thy hope, thy confidence let nothing shake.
All now mysterious will be bright at last.


Spoken:
(Delight yourselves in the Lord,
Yes, and find your joy in Him.
Be known for your gentleness
And never forget the nearness of our God.
And don’t worry,
Whatever’s gonna come.
Just tell God every detail.
And the peace of God that no one understands
Will come to you.
No, don’t worry,
Just tell Him every detail
And His peace will come to you.)


I began my jog with some heavy thoughts on my mind. Thoughts that come into my mind that I really don’t like to share with anyone else. Thoughts that are born of things I know I can’t expect or try to make anyone else understand. I find myself in that place every once in a while. I often end up frustrated by it and trying so hard to push that frustration away. But this song came on and I found myself before the throne of God, knowing that He was, as always, big enough to handle “every detail.” I spoke to Him there and told Him that I didn’t know if I really had the energy to tell it all today. I’m pretty sure that was okay with Him. After all He knew the details even before I did. I laid it at His feet and I left it there, for Him to “order and provide”. And then I really did experience a measure of His promised peace. It wasn’t an assurance that the markets won’t continue to plummet or that my teenagers won’t make bad choices or even an assurance that faith shaking situations won’t come into my life again. It wasn’t a feeling of wellbeing, or even a sense that I could get through anything with God by my side (though I do know that’s true). It was simply a moment in which I knew beauty. And knowing beauty, for me, is knowing the Creator of beauty. And knowing the Creator of a world like the one I jogged in this morning was for that moment at least, just enough peace to pass my understanding.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Your last 3 sentences brought tears to my eyes! Beautiful!

Deborah Ann said...

Whoa, Cherie! I love this! I need to play that Amy Grant Hymns CD again. I love that you recognize that a moment with God is not a cure-all. God designed us in such a way that we need to go back again and again for more. The chase is the prize of beauty!

Blessings, my sister in Christ..

Sande said...

My mp3 and me have don't thousands of miles together through country roads and the feeling you talk about, ....

.... isn't it so profound; doesn't it get to the very core of you?

Jennifer @ JenniferDukesLee.com said...

"In every change
He faithful will remain."

Beauty and peace in those words. Thank you for this stirring post.

Traci Michele said...

I find that when I go for a long walk/jog.... that's where all those thoughts/ideas race around.

Maybe it is because our blood is flowing, and therefore our brain -juices? haha

I'm glad that the Lord always understands. Even if others, or even myself, don't know... at the time.

I'll have to check out that song! So beautiful!

Thanks so much for your sweet and encouraging comment over at Ordinary Inspirations. I'm glad you liked the pretty mom post.

I made a button for it if you want to come grab the link. Check it out. If it is something you like, feel free to grab the code. Just click the perfume bottle pic at the top of my blog (and the code will be in the post).

That LONG bubble bath sounded DEVINE!


Traci