Wednesday, December 3, 2008

I've been considering starting a blog for a while now. Actually I had one for a while a few years ago, but I sort of fell out of it and have really missed it. My kids are sitting around me right now doing homework and they're asking what the point of a blog is. I explained that it's like journaling your thoughts for other people to read. I told them about how much fun I've had keeping up to date with friends and family by reading their blogs. They don't really get the concept being they live and go to school with their friends and family everyday. Still though, their question haunts me... does anyone really care about what I have to say? What will my blog be about? Will it be updates on my family and the quirks and comedy of our lives? Will it be a commentary of my views snd passions on lifes current events? Will it read like some sort of daily devotional, chronicling my spiritual growth? Or will it somehow become a gripe fest on all that's wrong with the world, a sort of throwing up of hands and wishing for change in a hopeless world? In other words, what, essentially, is the point?
The truth is, I don't really know what my entries will look like. I know that some of the options on the list I just metioned are not the things I hope for my blog to become, but I also know that I'm a fairly fickle person - one who's affected deeply by mood and circumstance - and so I realize that my blog will look very different from day to day. I think that's okay. At the very least it's honest and I suppose that's what matters most in an online journal right? But it still brings me back to the orignal question and it's follow up insecurity. What's the point and will anyone really care enough to read what I write? I guess the point is connecting. It's all about putting myself out there by opening the door to my life for all of you to look in and connect if you want to. I'm planning to send out the address of this blog to those people with whom I desire that kind of connection. I guess then, it's up to you if you're interested enough to read or to comment or ultimately to make the connection. I guess blogging is about community. It's about being able to be a next door neighbor with family and friends who you might not otherwise get to see. It's about saying, "Hey if you ever wanna stop by, you're very welcome to. I leave the backdoor unlocked. And if I'm not around just feel free to make yourself at home. Kick off your shoes. Put on a pot of coffee. I'm sure I'll be back soon." So there you go. That's my invitation. I don't get to see most of you as often as I would like. I wish that weren't the case, but if you're ever in the bloggerhood, please stop by. I'll be so happy to see you.
Oh and by the way. I was inspired by a few of you who began this blog fest and have been keeping me up to date on your lives for a while now. Thanks, it's been fun. And for those of you who I might not know about your blog or facebook or some other connecting venue, I'd love to know where to find you. Just let me know and I'll be by.
Thanks and see you soon... I'll leave the coffee on just in case.

No comments: